Along with good typing skills there are a few other key traits.
Helpful Skills to be a Transcriptionist:
– Ability to apply common sense. Often times you won't understand what the dictation is saying and you'll need to try to put the phrase into context to figure out what the speaker means.
– A keen eye for detail. This will help in proofreading and editing to ensure you turn in the highest quality work.
– Good organizational skills. If you have a lot of clients it's important to stay organized.
– Good communication skills. For marketing your business and dealing with clients.
– Professionalism and discreetness (often times you'll be transcribing very sensitive documents which require full confidentiality).
– Basic computer skills and the ability to get around a word processing program
– A good grasp of the English language, good spelling and grammar skills
Grab your Moms Talk Biz Guide to Starting a Transcription Business – Step-by-step instructions, resources and inside information to start your own transcription business from home.